Keep an eye out for these summer fruits and vegetables at your local farmer’s market for the most flavorful and organic produce. In order to maximize the freshness of these fruits and vegetables, it is essential to know when they are in season. This varies with different regions and climates.
Apricots- Apricots are rich in vitamins A and C and contain vital minerals like calcium and iron. In addition, for those dieters apricots also contain no fat and very little carbs.
Watermelon- Watermelon is composed of 90% water, making it the perfect summer treat. Watermelons give us energy, reduce the risk of cancer, and fight against heart disease.
Cantaloupe- Cantaloupe contains large amounts of vitamins A, C, and B6 amongst other nutrient and minerals. These added vitamins and minerals make cantaloupes the most helpful fruit in preventing lung cancer.
- Strawberries- Strawberries provide a multitude of health benefits: they efficiently prevent the oxidation process in the body, tighten the skin, and can curb the happening of malignant tumors.
- Peaches- Peaches are immensely rich in vitamin A and potassium which aids in keeping skin healthy and adding color to your complexion. Incorporating peaches into your normal diet can regulate bowel movements and prevent intestinal straining.
- Raspberries- Raspberries are very nutrient-dense fruit comprised of a cancer-fighting compound called ellagic acid. They are also low calorie and contain no fat, making them ideal for those on restrictive diets.
- Plums- Plums are a great source of dietary fiber which aids in the digestive process. They also contain high concentrations of vitamin C which helps reinforce your immune system.
- Mango- Mangos are very nutritionally rich as they contain high amounts of vitamins C and E and potassium. Mangos aid in regulating heart rate and blood pressure as well as conditions like asthma and anemia.
- Cherries- Cherries provide a significant impact on relieving muscle and joint discomfort quickly and effectively. Many runners and athletes alike incorporate cherries into their diet for their powerful pain reliving benefits.
Supermarkets offer a greater convenience and variety but farmer’s markets are unparalleled in their overall freshness and flavor. Local farmers stand behind their produce, eager to introduce and promote their produce and preparation. Think of it like going to Best Buy and having Steve Jobs help you pick out an iPod.