One of the most researched supplements in history, Creatine is used by athletes, body builders and the everyday gym enthusiast.
Creatine supplements, like APS’ Complete Pure Creatine Powder, are made of 100% all natural Creatine Monohydrate, a nitrogenous organic acid naturally found in vertebrates. It is also made up of amino acids L-arginine, L-glycine, and L-methionine. Approximately 95% of the body’s Creatine is stored in the skeletal muscle and the remaining 5% is found in the brain and heart, as mentioned on AltMedicine.com.
According to Dr. Levy of the University of Chicago Medical Center, the use of Creatine helps reduce fatigue because extra energy is being transported into your cells. As a result of reduced muscle fatigue, Creatine helps you work out longer, complete more reps and use heavier weights, which in turn can increase muscle mass over time. Creatine is not a steroid, it does not imitate testosterone, and is 100% natural. Unlike steroids, Creatine is not prohibited to use by the Olympic Committee, professional leagues, or the National Collegiate Athletic Association.
For best results, Creatine consumption should be combined with a meal of simple carbohydrates. A common form of Creatine intake is combining the supplement with a protein drink or a high carbohydrate juice. Since the supplement can boost energy is it commonly recommended to consume before a workout, however the option to have it post-workout is also effective in increasing muscle.
Some athletes like to have a “loading period” where they consume 20 grams of Creatine a day for a week then reduce it to 3-5 grams a day. This is safe to do but not necessary, according to Dr. Richard Kreider, chairman of the Department of Health at Baylor University. Dr. Kreider suggests 3-5 grams a day from the start is just as beneficial. While Creatine is safe to take daily, some athletes choose to cycle the supplement. Cycling is best when heavy training is taking place, and Creatine intake should end during the individual’s off time.
Men and women can both see results in strength and muscle mass with the use of Creatine. The supplement is also safe for children, however parents should monitor intake and consult a physician before allowing adolescent to consume a dietary supplement.
Side effects of the supplement are minimal. Less than 10% experience upset stomach, according to Menhealth.com. The most common effect is increased body mass, however this is typically desired by users looking to bulk up, which is why the supplement is popular among body builders and strength trainers.
Creatine has become a well-known supplement in and out of the gym. Naturally found in muscles, it is safe to use by most anyone and has minimal risk of side effects. When paired with simple carbohydrates users will experience less fatigue while working out and increased muscle mass.